Sixteenth Peace Design Table – The Role of Higher Education Institutions in Sustainable Development (Angola)
IAYSP Angola organized the sixteenth Peace Design Table with the theme, The Role of Higher Education Institutions in Sustainable Development (SDG 1, 10, and 13) on December 13, 2020.
Ambassador Katia Gabriel and the ten Peace Makers held their Peace Dialogue Table were in attendance.
– Understand the role and contribution of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in sustainable development.
– Identify what actions can be promoted in HEIs to boost sustainable development in Angola.
Identified problem: Angola does not meet any of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, which positions the country in 149 places below the African average (source: “O País” newspaper).
The Role of HEIs in Sustainable Development – University:
- Teaching (replicating and socializing knowledge about the SDGs).
- Scientific research (creating new ways that aim to achieve sustainable development).
- University extension (disseminating and using the knowledge of HEIs through implementation within society).
Final considerations for getting results:
Closer attention needs to be drawn towards recognising research and sustainable development of higher education institutions. Students who learn about sustainability in the class setting are more likely to become role models and serve society by putting knowledge into practice.