Overcoming Pandemic COVID-19 project in Senegal
The activity held on April 25th 2020 was part of the IAYSP-Senegal maximum prevention program held on the field in collaboration with the youth of Tivaouane Peulh and with the Women Federation for World Peace (Jamoo). This activity allowed not only to sensitize people and supply masks in places said to be risky, but it also allowed YSP members to observe the reality on the field and notice different problems.
IAYSP-Senegal, the Youth Association of Tivaouane Peulh and the Health Commission of the Youth Association worked together.
They had 500 washable masks, hand-made by Jamoo. The distribution was as follows:
- 100 masks for the Darou Salaam market
- 100 masks for the car repair chop of Tivaouane Peulh
- 100 masks for IAYSP HQ neighbours
- 50 masks for the bus 69
- 50 masks for the Disabled Association of Tivaouane Peulh
- 50 masks for the Health Station of Tivaouane Peulh
- 50 masks for communities
Thanks to the dynamism shown by the participants for this activity, they finished their distribution tour in less than two hours. Along with the help of the Health Commission they could sensitize effectively regarding the necessity of wearing mask and how to take care of them.
This activity was the second of its kind. Since March 18th 2020 they held a first distribution activity with 1,000 masks. Thanks to that experience, they could organize better this second session. There were several points to be improved as follows;
- YSP wanted to remind the Tivaouane Peulh Mayor about the insufficiency number of masks. YSP already established a distribution strategy for the 3rd session with a more open outreach
- Through the debriefing of this activity, YSP is planning to have a watch over monitoring team. This is because YSP noticed some people were not wearing their mask or just prefer to leave them at their homes or in their pockets. For some they just wore their mask on the spot after seeing YSP members with the masks on their face.
- YSP plans to have the police support for the next session.