Peace Design Table #16 The role of Higher Education Institutions in Sustainable Development (Angola)
IAYSP-Angola organized the Peace Design Table #16 with the theme titled: The role of Higher Education Institutions in Sustainable Development (SDG 1, 10, and 13) on December 13th, 2020.
Ambassador Katia Gabriel and the 10 Peace Makers led by her held their Peace Dialogue Table, reflecting on the theme.
– Understand the role and contribution of Higher education institutions (HEIs) in sustainable development.
– Identify what actions can be promoted in HEIs to boost sustainable development in Angola.
Identified problem: Angola does not meet any of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, which positions the country in 149 places below the African average (source: “O País” newspaper).
The role of HEIs in Sustainable Development – University:
- Teaching (replicating and socializing knowledge about the SDGs);
- Scientific research (creating new ways that aim to achieve sustainable development)
- University extension (disseminating and using the knowledge of HEIs to society).
Final considerations for getting results: There must be recognition for research and sustainable development of Higher education institutions. Students who learn about sustainability in the class should become role models and serve society by putting it into practice.